Welcome to the Metaverse.
We have all dreamt of an era where our virtual lives play as important a role as our physical realities. That era is “NOW!”
Since Mark Zuckerberg announced his vision of turning Facebook into a Metaverse company, the real hype around Metaverse has seen an uptick. Companies such as Epic Games, Microsoft, and others have announced plans to enter the Metaversal space that has become a massive deal across industries.
“We’re in a world where people several times a day send out images reflecting themselves,” said Matthew Ball, a venture capitalist who has written extensively about the Metaverse. “The next phase takes that visual representation and dimensionalizes it. Finally, you go into an environment and express yourself through an avatar.”
1. Nike launched Nikeland on Roblox
2. Forever 21 has partnered with Roblox
1. Microsoft has introduced Mesh as part of its annual event Ignite 2021 and recently announced its move to acquire Activision, the creator of ‘Call of Duty.’
2. Meta has launched “Horizon worlds.”
3. Virtual office spaces in the Metaverse are gaining popularity – many companies like SoWork, Spatial, Virbela are already popular in this space
1. Sony has announced PlayStation VR2 at CES 2022
2. Epic Games has announced its two-prong Metaverse strategy – around the Fortnite game and capitalized on content-creation tools like the Unreal Engine
Besides these, many other industries are also trying to enter the Metaversal space.
Let’s now understand the Metaverse Ecosystem, from the experiences that people seek out to the technologies that make it possible:
The Metaverse combines modern technological trends under one interconnected ecosystem. It is similar to how the internet is the core for services, gaming, communication, monetization, and entertainment.
There’s more to come this year. Apple plans to unveil its version of a virtual reality headset. Meta (formerly Facebook) is working on two significant projects – Project Nazara (True Augmented Reality glasses) and Project Cambria (a new Virtual Reality headset, successor of Oculus Quest 2). Once this hardware is made available to the public, it will only be a short while before we see everyone hooked to their devices, just as we are to our smartphones today.
Will the Metaverse, as a concept, will break the barriers of physical and virtual worlds in the coming days? We strongly believe so. At ValueLabs, we are doing some exciting work in this space for some of our customers, so stay tuned to know more.